Read this checklist to compare other programs to Apple Tree Children's Centers!
- Is there a written curriculum that the teachers use to plan their lessons?
- Is there a lesson plan posted for the parents to use as a guide for learning about their child's day?
- Is there a program designed for each age group, including the infant classroom?
- Is the learning program designed to enhance the development of the "whole" child?
- Is there evidence of language and literacy through the use of stories, experience charts, journaling, dramatic play and music?
- Do the lesson plans include a variety of activities to promote creative arts, science, social learning and language skills?
- Is ongoing training offered to the teachers for continuing education?
- Is there a balance of teacher-directed and child-initiated activities through out the day?
- Does the school offer an educational program during the summer months?
Is the school licensed and in good standing with the appropriate state licensing agency?
Is the school accredited or in the process of becoming accredited by NAEYC?
Is the school clean and is the equipment in good condition?
Is each room equipped with age-appropriate toys?
Is there an emergency exit plan posted in each classroom?
Is there a security keypad system for parents to enter and exit the school?
Is there a safety policy in place for drop-off and pick-up procedures?
Is there an outdoor playground with sturdy equipment that is well anchored on proper impact-absorbing surfacing?
Is the outdoor playground fenced in for the children's safety?
Are the classrooms arranged to accommodate small and large group activities?
- Are the teachers talking with the children and encouraging meaningful conversation?
- Are the teachers interacting and responding to the children?
- Do you hear pleasant and happy voices from both the teachers and children?
- Do the teachers have training in Early Education, Child Development or a related field?
- Do the teachers offer the parents time to meet one on one with the parent to assess the needs of their child?
- Does the school have a training program for the teachers?
- Is the ratio of children to teachers within state guidelines?
- Is the staff trained in First Aid and CPR?
- Are parental visits, questions and comments welcomed at all times?
- Does the school place an emphasis on parent communication and involvement?
- Does the school offer a variety of social events that the entire family can attend such as summer picnics and holiday gatherings?
- Are there opportunities for parent/teacher conferences?
- Does the school send home daily or weekly sheets to inform the parents of their child's daily activities and learning?
- Does each teacher have a primary group of children for whom they are responsible?
- Is there an opportunity for the parents to assess the program?
Is there a gradual enrollment policy?
What if my child needs part-time care?
What if my child is on vacation for one or more weeks?
What are the hours of operation at this school?
What are the school's payment policies?
Is there a policy in place for administering medication?
What is the school's sick policy?
What days are the school closed for holidays and in-service trainings?